365 days ago, I turned 21 years old.
365 days ago, I weighed 40 pounds more than I do today.
365 days ago, I was extremely unhappy.
I never knew that 365 days could make me change so much, but they did. However, I don’t know that I feel anymore accomplished than I was on my 21st birthday. I still feel lost and I still don’t really know what I’m doing with my life. However, despite feeling uncertain about many things, I do feel like I have a grip on who I am and what I believe in more so than I did 365 days ago.
I may be simple, I may be unsophisticated, I may not be the cool one, and I may not be the most beautiful, but I am my own person. I am someone. I may not quite know who that someone is yet, but I have learned that I’m not a nobody and I matter. And while I don’t know many things, I think the things I do know are some of the best life lessons any person should know.
things I know at 22:
- Being miserable and unhappy is not going to make anything better in your life.
- Sometimes it is healthier to be alone to find out who you are rather than be in a relationship as a nobody.
- You have to be a friend to have friends.
- To be passionate and love what you do is more important than being really good at something and miserable while doing it.
- Love with everything you have inside of you, but also know that it might not always be enough to keep something.
- You can love someone with your whole heart, but that does not mean that person is meant to be in your life forever.
- Cutting people out of your life is painful but necessary for you to be completely happy sometimes.
- It is okay to cry somedays because it is the only thing you can do to feel better, but crying everyday will make you miss out on a lot of things in life.
- Taking time to find yourself does not make you a failure.
- Just because you think you are not following the same path as everyone else, it does not mean you are not being successful in your own way.
- You don’t need to prove or show anyone why you’re happy, just knowing that you are is enough.
- Learn to love yourself because you can’t love anyone else properly until you do.
I have 365 days to change myself again. I know I’ll succeed. I know I’ll fail. I know I won’t be perfect. I know I’ll do some things right.
But most of all, I know that I will never be that girl I was 365 days ago.
Thanks to all of my friends and parents who support me unconditionally. I can never express how much you all truly mean to me ❤